Are you looking for the best keyword research tools in 2020? Well, just before that lets understand about keyword research and how to make money by ranking the keywords.
Keyword is a term that describes the content of your article, in the best possible manner. It is a search term or phrase that you would like to rank your page for on different search engines.
When people search for a phrase or the keyword you’re targeting, you must appear in the top 10 positions of the search engines in order to have an audience that converts to bring you sales or views ads on your website.
Note: You can learn more about the onpage and offpage tactics here!
Let’s say you have a website about gardening where you sell different types of gardening tools or blog about the things to be taken care of before choosing a proper gardening tool, reviews about various gardening tools, etc. Ask yourself these questions:
- What kind of search strings or terms would you like to be found for?
- What are the possible keywords you think people will type to find you?
- What would the keyword look like?
Probably [best gardening tools for a small home], right? Because this search term reflects what’s on your page best. You can also go ahead and include or target long tail keywords like best power tools for gardening or best gardening tools for a small home.
Now, let’s get into a kw research guide to find low competition kw using the best keyword research tools in 2020.
In layman terms,Low difficulty Keywords are the terms for which one can rank with little to no domain authority and link building but with quality content that offers any form of information regarding the term in detail with easy to understand images and videos .
The low difficulty kws probably are long tail keywords which authoritative blogs don’t target due to low/average search volume.
Note: If you are new to the term link building and domain authority, we already have a guide on link building and domain authority.
On the other hand, high difficulty keywords are the ones you need to perform substantial link building along with Onpage and OffPage SEO in detail to stand on top 10 positions of search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
It might take a lot of effort to rank for a beginner with fewer resources, and advise them to look out for two interconnected terms to make it a long tail and low competition keyword.
How to Find a Keyword? – Process Explained
- Firstly, decide the niche you would like to work on (can be clothes, health, cars, bikes, etc.)
- Now, go to Ahrefs and sign up for a 7$ trial for seven days.
- Write down the keyword or a phrase in your mind, and filter the keywords based on the buyer intent like best, top 10, review, product name, buy now, etc.
- Now, set the Keyword Difficulty (KD) score between 0-10 and note down all the keywords.
- Now, try filtering all the LSI keywords like best gardening tools under 500$, best gardening tools for small homes, etc.
Note: LSI keywords are the related terms that help in boosting the value of content, which causes impulse buying action among the readers and hence, a high conversion rate. You can read a guide on how to find LSI using the best free keyword research tools in 2020.
If you are still finding it challenging to get the keywords in your niche, try to find a famous site in your niche and place it in Ahrefs.
- Now, click on the search button and head on to the organic keywords section on the dashboard’s left side.
- Filter the keywords based on the KD from 0-4, and you will have amazing low competition keywords with the click of a button.
You can double-check the difficulty of the keywords by using the best free keyword research tools for bloggers.
Best Keyword Research Tools
Firstly, install these SEO extensions in your Chrome extensions
This tool is developed by SEMrush to check the technical aspects of SEO in a blog. You can enable the following options in SEOQuake by following these steps: Settings > Preferences > SERP Overlay [Enable: show position numbers in SERP, On-Page load, Bing Index, Webarchive Page, SEMRush SE Traffic]
This tool is developed by Moz to check the metrics of the competitor like domain authority, page authority, and several links pointing to that particular post.
This tool is developed by Surfer SEO to check the search volume of the keyword, word count, and many more technical aspects of SERP.
This is another extension to get a search volume of a keyword that can be filtered based on interest, geo, and demographics.
- Put the Keywords List Scraped from Ahrefs.
- If you’ve followed the previous method, you would have a list of 0 KD terms, and you can put the results.
- Use SEO Ruler to get the information of 100 results related to those keywords.
Look for Low Authority Sites
Check for sites with domain authority less than 20, and the indexed pages should be less than 100. Also, as a final check, make sure that the site’s age is less than one year.
Check the Competitors for the Scraped Keywords
- After scraping the low competition keywords that are being ranked by small DA sites with little to no links built.
- You can now check for the competition using Google operators like allintitle: and allinurl:
- In case, if you find KGR compliant keywords, it is pretty easy to rank your websites.
KGR stands for Keyword Golden Ratio, where the search volume of the keyword should be less than or equal to 250, and when you check allintitle: your keyword, the results of allintitle should be less than 63.
To rank faster using this technique, your keyword’s KGR value should be 0.25 or less than that.
The formula for KGR is,
KGR = Number of Allintitle Results for Your Keyword
Search volume of your keyword
Note down all the possible metrics like content length, backlinks, search volume of the keyword.
What is allintitle?
Allintitle is a metric that explains how many competitors are using your exact keyword in the title of their content.
Scrape the Keywords From Low Authority Domain
Not satisfied with the keywords you have scraped?
You can find more and how?
After finding a low authority site, you can scrape the other keywords that the small authority sites have been ranking for via Ahrefs/Semrush.
Sign up for a Trial of Ahrefs
Sign up for a Trial of SemRush
You can plug in the competitor site in Ahrefs/Semrush and scrape the keywords from the organic keyword section.
Else, you can go to the ‘Top Pages’ section of Ahrefs/Semrush and then look at the low competition traffic-driving keywords to the website.
If you are not using premium tools like Ahrefs and Semrush, you can also sign up on Getkeywords.io and plug in your competitor URL, to scrape the keywords.
In Keywords.io, under the “SEO Keywords” section, look for other keywords, the competitor is ranking for!
Now that you have another list of keywords, you can follow the allintitle rule and verify the keyword’s difficulty.
We might have got a list of low kd keywords, but we also need to know how to rank them?
Well, Still stuck at setting up a website? Read our post on I Bought a Domain Now What? To Know the next steps to setting up your blog online!
How To Verify Low KD keywords from Moz, Ahrefs, and Semrush?
You can also verify the low KD keywords from Moz, Ahrefs, and Semrush by following the below-mentioned process.
Firstly, check for the type of links made in the article which you would like to outrank. If that article has easy to replicate links like forums and profile links and also if the anchor tags are spammy, then it is a green signal that it is a very low competitive keyword.
After you confirm that the links made on that article are easy to replicate, enter the keyword in Moz. Now, check for the DA of the sites ranking in the top 10 -15 positions. Also, double-check the link authority of the backlinks and analyze if they are weak or solid links. If the links are of poor quality, then it is a clear indicator that the keyword is low competitive.
As a final check, go to the SEMrush audit feature and analyze the keyword’s top 15 competitors. If the links are toxic and average quality, you can start crafting content around that keyword. On the other hand, if the links are stable and non-toxic, drop the keyword and check for a low competition.
There’s a point where you might think that only a few domains are linking to a site, but ahrefs and semrush have been showing 1k+ links or links in bulk, then there is a possible case that a domain has a 301 redirect done by another site/ PBN links pointed to the main website.
One perfect example of the same is here:
Want to know more about 301 Redirects and How To Detect PBN? Read Here.
Except for that, if you see sites ranking with minimum and basic links, then you can always rinse and repeat this process till you find a low competition keyword from the best keyword research tools for bloggers.
How Can You Earn by Ranking a Keyword?
The whole impetus on ways to earn through your blog online depends on the selection of your keywords and content strategy.
For example, if you are planning to bring sales for a product through your website, you must focus on keywords with strong buyer intent.
Ex: If you are trying to sell gardening gloves through your website, you need to find keywords like best gardening gloves. This keyword brings in a good number of targeted customers to your website, and eventually pours in sales.
Likewise, if you are planning to provide information on gardening tools, you can research and write articles on keywords like why use copper gardening tools? This keyword will bring in the audience who are in the decision making phase, to buy the copper gardening tools. Out of which few might become your customers, after reading the content.
Depending on the type of content or keywords you are targeting there are various forms of monetization programs available and here are a few more ways to make money through your blog, after ranking the keywords:
- Google Adsense – If you are running an informational blog in any niche, Google Adsense is one of the best ways to monetize your blog. Once you have a good number of visitors on your blog, you need to just apply for Ads approval on your website. Once Approved, you can place the ads on your website and start making money when a user clicks on the ads.
Note: Please read about the terms and conditions, and policies about the Google Adsense and how it works here!
- Amazon Affiliate (or) Third Party Affiliates – If you have any product review blog, you can monetize it with the help of Amazon or third party brand based affiliates. For that, you just need to apply for the Amazon or third party affiliate program, and once approved, copy-paste your product affiliate link in the review articles.
Whenever a user purchases a product through your blog, you get a commission from Amazon. Similarly, there are other brand affiliate programs in every niche like Walmart affiliate, Homedepot affiliate, etc.
Depending on the niche you choose, you can approach third party affiliate programs and start recommending their products on your blog.
- CPA (Cost Per Acquisition): CPA means Cost Per Acquisition. In this method of monetization, companies ask you to complete specific tasks like collecting emails, signing up on their platforms, or get leads to their trial offers, etc. If you place a link to a CPA offer on your website, and if the user performs the desired action, companies will pay you a specific amount per lead. There are many brands like Maxbounty, CJ.com, ShareaSale that promote CPA offers. Depending on the type of website you have, you can choose the offers that you would like to advertise on your blog.
I bought a domain now what
keyword research Guide
Get a Perfect Domain
If you are planning to make a blog around high competition niches like health, finance, etc. it might take time to find low competition keywords.
You can also play smart by following these simple tips
Tip 1: You can use a VPN to find low competition niches in your chosen country. In case, if you do not have any VPN, you can try to use the MozBar feature to change the country.
Tip 2: Why would you like to stop at Amazon Affiliate based keywords? You can try to find low competition informational keywords and try to monetize it with the help of Google Adsense.
Tip 3: You can find low competition keywords with the help of your scraping skills
Tip 4: By looking at the high-commission affiliate program, you can start a new niche website.